Sunday, June 8, 2014

Welcome to New York City

In honor of my summer in New York City, I gave my blog a facelift!! It has been over a year since the last time I posted BUT I am going to do my best to post at least once a week this summer while I’m interning in the Big Apple!

Washington Square Park

Today marks the end of my first week in NYC. I was so blessed to have my Nana accompany me last Monday up to the big city and to help me get settled in at my dorm at NYU. The dorm has been quite fantastic so far. It is much bigger than I anticipated and very clean and nice. I have two roommates who are from different places across the country and are spending the summer in the city interning and doing research. The dorm is down near Chelsea and SoHo where I haven’t really explored much so I’m excited for that opportunity. Washington Square Park is only a couple of blocks away which I am loving!! I can walk down there and read a book under the shady trees while listening to the sounds of the city.

Anyone who knows me knows I am a Broadway junkie! (As I write this I am watching live red carpet coverage for the Tonys!) Nana and I were able to catch two shows while she was still up here. On Tuesday night we saw Of Mice and Men, starring James Franco and Chris O’Dowd as George and Lennie, respectively. It was perhaps the best play I have ever seen in New York. Everything about it was fantastic but above all was the fantastic talent. Everyone in the cast had strong performances but, of course, the two leads were standouts. Chris O’Dowd, however, stole the show! His performance as Lennie was absolutely stellar. Everything from his line delivery to his small mannerisms and little hand motions, he truly gave an all-around amazing performance. Here’s hoping he wins the Tony Award tonight! (UPDATE: Bryan Cranston won…guess if you’re gonna lose, it’s less painful if it’s to Bryan Cranston!)


The second show Nana and I saw was A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder and it was FANTASTIC! I’ve never seen a performance like it before! It was unique and absolutely hilarious! The staging was so different and seemed to pull some elements from old time Vaudeville. The singing performances were absolutely stellar. I’ve seen a lot of Broadway shows here in New York and the singing in this show was perhaps the greatest I have ever heard. The acting was also fantastic, especially by the two leads, Bryce Pinkham and Jefferson Mays. Jefferson plays eight different characters in the show and that in itself is a reason to go see this show!  If you want to laugh your pants off and see what Broadway truly is about, go see A Gentleman’s Guide! (UPDATE: A Gentleman’s Guide is now the 2014 Tony Award winner for Best Musical!!)

After Nana left on Thursday and onto Friday, I spent some time walking around my new home and getting acquainted. On Saturday I went to several bars with some friends and had a wonderful time. One of those bars was an old school speakeasy! What an experience! I’m so obsessed with Gatsby and the Roaring 20’s so Bathtub Gin was definitely a dream. On the outside you see a coffee shop, but step inside and the host reaches under the counter and flips a switch to open the door in the wall. Once you step through, it’s a completely different atmosphere. Jazz music and dim lighting sets the mood and the staff is so nice and attentive. Also, the bathrooms were really great too! I would highly recommend Bathtub Gin if you’re in the city and looking for a great place to go out for drinks.

This morning I went to church at the Shrine Church of St. Anthony of Padua which is run by the Franciscan Friars in SoHo. The church was absolutely GORGEOUS! There were tons of stained glass windows and the altar was so stunning. It was a wonderful Mass celebrating the Pentecost! After Mass, I met a friend at a great restaurant called Cafeteria and had some delicious food and conversation.

Shrine Church of St. Anthony of Padua

The altar inside St. Anthony's
Tomorrow morning, bright and early, I start my audit internship with Deloitte. I accepted my offer for internship with Deloitte nearly a year ago and now it is finally here! It would be a lie if I said I haven’t been super anxious about the internship. It’s always nerve-wracking to start something new, so I know the nerves are natural. Today though, I have relaxed a bit. First days are inevitable and necessary so there’s no point in being scared. There will be many other interns in the same boat as me so I won’t be alone. Mostly now I’m just nervous about navigating the subway properly so I’m not late! I’m ready to begin the internship so that I have something to focus on and so that I can meet people!

This summer is going to be an adventure! I’m going to do my best to share it with you! Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers as I begin my internship tomorrow!!

With Love,

Alex

1 comment:

  1. So jealous of all the adventures you've had already ;P Love you! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete