Sunday, June 22, 2014

Third Week's A Charm

Week three in New York City proved to be a very eventful one!

My first week at my assigned client’s site went really well! The team there is extremely nice and welcomed the three of us interns who are joining the team for the summer with open arms. The first day was a bit relaxed but come Tuesday they were giving us real work to do and I think all of us enjoyed it. Working in an office building like the one where the client is located, you have to get a security badge so that you can get in and out of the building and in and out of the audit team’s floor. I must say, it makes you feel really important when you can just swipe your badge and it lets you in to a super fancy office building. I also have a security badge for Rockefeller Center which is equally as thrilling!!

Going back and forth from work each day, I made several observations regarding the subway. As noted last week, crowded subways are definitely not my thing. However, it looks like getting off around 6:00 every afternoon all but guarantees a very close and compact ride home! One day, I actually let two trains go by because they were so full! NO WAY was I going to try and shove myself in there! Luckily, the subway I take comes about every five minutes so it wasn’t too long of a wait for a less crowded train.

The second observation is that I’m turning into a germ freak like my mother. Going down into the subway is what I would imagine going into the belly of Satan must be like. It’s HOT and GROSS!! When I come up from the tunnels below, I instantly GermX my hands! It just makes me feel better!!!! I can’t help but feel so grimy and dirty! I try my best to only use one hand to hold on with and also to leave my phone in my purse so it doesn’t get all disgusting. Needless to say, I’m definitely utilizing a good amount of hand sanitizer, but I guess that’s a good thing! Mother is proud!

The third observation is one that I find quite strange. On Tuesday, I got on the train and immediately saw a little boy sitting there playing Fruit Ninja on his GameBoy. (I know this because he had the sound turned up on the game!) About three stops later, while still looking at the GameBoy, the little boy gets up and walks off the subway, presumably to go to school. I realized that what appeared to be a seven year-old kid just rode the subway to school BY HIMSELF! I saw this almost every day! A kid who was going to school on the subway! I know that it’s probably a New York thing and people who have grown up here and have chosen to raise their kids here are probably extremely comfortable doing this but OH MY GOSH it just baffles me! Not sure I could let my baby ride on a subway alone!

Now, let me tell you about some fun things I did this week!


On Wednesday afternoon, my roommate and I went down to Battery Park to take a look at the Statue of Liberty, at a distance of course, and we got to see the most beautiful sunset! There was a nice breeze and a lot of boats out on the water. We walked around a bit and got to see The Sphere sculpture that stood in the plaza of the World Trade Center. It was damaged during the events of 9/11 and moved to Battery Park as a temporary memorial for those who lost their lives in the terrorist attacks that day. Right next to it is the eternal flame which was ignited the day of the attacks to honor all those who were lost. I know I’d seen The Sphere before but it was so long ago I didn’t really remember it. All in all, it was a wonderful evening!

The Sphere

The Eternal Flame

Friday night I FINALLY went and saw The Fault in Our Stars movie. I laughed and I cried. The book was amazing and I think they did a fantastic job on the film adaptation. Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort were absolutely on point as the two leads. It’s a story that definitely makes you grateful for your health and the health of those you love. Now, I’ve never gone to the movies in New York before. Those who know me know that movies are my life!!! College Station has spoiled me with their $4.75 movies! When I went up to the box office to purchase my TFIOS ticket, you can imagine the almost heart attack I had when the guy said $13.75! It literally PAINED ME to pay that much for a movie!! Ugh!!! Safe to say I probably will not be seeing another movie while I’m here but we’ll see!

American Museum of Natural History

Yesterday I went to the AmericanMuseum of Natural History for the very first time. For those who have seen Night at the Museum, this is the museum from that movie! Let me just say, this place is massive!! It’s about five stories full of exhibits and activity areas. There is so much to see and absolutely NO way you could see it all in a day. It’s a really fantastic museum though and the three hours I spent roaming the exhibits with a friend of mine were a lot of fun.
Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Hall

Milstein Hall of Ocean Life

T-Rex in the Saurischian Dinosaurs Hall

After we left the museum, we walked across the street and went into Central Park. We found a nice rocky area that was situated right on the edge of the lake and decided to chill there for a bit. While we were relaxing, we noticed across the lake a couple in a row boat. The boat was off to the side sitting idle, unlike all of the other row boats that were going back and forth in the center of the lake. The woman in the boat started putting her hands up to her mouth and then back down again in what clearly appeared to be a freak out! Then the guy reached across, grabbed her face and pressed his forehead to hers. Here is where I start thinking that perhaps the guy had just proposed. Then they kissed. And the people in the row boats near them began cheering. And that’s how I became certain the couple in the row boat across the lake had just gotten engaged! It was super adorable and romantic. Such a cool thing to get to witness! We walked all around the park some more and I finally got to see Bow Bridge, which is the bridge that you always see in movies where they film scenes on a bridge in Central Park. After that, we got to my favorite area of Central Park, the Bethesda Terrace. Once there we saw two couples taking engagement pictures and a newly married bride and groom. Saturday was definitely a day of love, people!!!!!

Bow Bridge

Bethesda Fountain

Bethesda Terrace

I just realized this blog post is turning quite lengthy and I apologize! Last, but certainly not least, I just wanted to discuss the churches I attended last Sunday and this Sunday!

Last Sunday I went to the Church of St. Joseph, which is also the NYU Catholic Center I believe. It isn’t too far from the NYU campus in Greenwich Village and is run by the Dominican Friars. The church was quite simple, but the choir at the 6:00 evening Mass was absolutely outstanding!! I’m pretty sure they were all trained singers and their harmonies and arrangements of the songs and Mass parts were just amazing! I will most likely try going back there because of the music!

Today I went to mass at St. Patrick’s Cathedral. Due to the restoration project currently underway, the inside of the church is almost completely covered in scaffolding. One would think that would be distracting, but there is something about that cathedral that just demands your full attention and reverence. It was a great Mass and I enjoyed being able to go back there.

Restoration on the outside of St. Patrick's

Scaffolding on the inside

My view when I looked up!

Sorry for the chapter book I just gave you! Hope it wasn’t too painful to read! I’m really loving my time up here and am just truly grateful for this opportunity. New York has always been a dream of mine and it’s a blessing to get the chance to live it out, even for a short time. Wishing wonderful weeks for all!

With Love,

Alex

P.S. I was asked for directions three times this week! I guess I'm starting to look local! 

No comments:

Post a Comment