Friday, September 18, 2015

Moving To New York: As Told By An Overthinking, Type-A Princess: Part 3

Hello, hello, hello!

So glad you came back!

After signing my lease and finding out I couldn’t move in until the 8th, my mom and I got a game plan together. We moved to a hotel on Friday evening and stayed there until my move-in day. She also decided to extend her trip a couple of days so she could be here to help once I ACTUALLY got moved in. Mommy, thank you SO SO MUCH!!!!

We decided it’d be best to start ordering furniture and scheduling delivery for the day of or day after my move-in date. Our hotel was in close proximity to a really good TJ Maxx, Century 21 (an incredible discount store), and a Bed, Bath & Beyond. Speaking of which, if I don’t see the inside of a Bed, Bath & Beyond for a month…it will be too soon. Anyways, we utilized those places to accumulate housewares like towels, sheets, a duvet cover, blankets, etc. Our tiny little hotel room was practically bursting with all of our stuff!!! It was ridiculous!

Another wonderful place we utilized was IKEA. Oh yes, you all know about the wonder of IKEA….or at least, I’m sure you all know. If not, you should go to your nearest IKEA and find out! I think I’ve been to the Houston IKEA maybe twice in my life and neither of those times was I searching for myself. Now it was my turn to make decisions about what kind of furniture was going to adorn my studio apartment and IT WAS SOOOOO OVERWHELMING. But I think maybe that’s just what happens when you go to IKEA….you get ridiculously overwhelmed.

It is an absolute fantasyland! A one stop shop for any and everything you could POSSIBLY need to furnish a place at extremely reasonable prices. After doing some research, we figured out that you could get to the IKEA in Brooklyn by taking the IKEA Express water taxi, which is free on the weekends. So, after stopping and getting some Broadway show tickets at the TKTS Booth at South Street Seaport, we headed to Pier 11 and got in the long line for our boat.

Once we boarded, it took maybe 15 minutes to get there and off we went! I felt like a very anxiety ridden kid in a candy store, feeling drawn to one candy thinking it was perfect but then questioning myself as to whether or not that candy was REALLY what I wanted or if I wanted the other candy that I really really love too…this was a theme that emerged throughout the course of the weekend. You’ll see what I mean.

Surprisingly, I decided on a loveseat and coffee table almost straight out of the gate! As we walked further and further through the showrooms, I got more and more overwhelmed. (I think I’ve used that word too much…but oh well! It’s the truth!) Then I picked out an 8-drawer dresser that can also double as an entertainment center if I decide to get a TV. It’s all about saving space in these New York apartments, you see.

Once we were done there, we arrived at the marketplace. Which is literally just chock full of home furnishings!!!! AND I JUST HAD ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF! I mean there was just so much to choose from! If I’d had unlimited funds, I would have gone hog wild!!! That is what dreams are made of, people! Alas, I settled for some glasses, silverware, and knives. Just to have a little something to start with.

Then came the picking room. For those who haven’t been to IKEA, this is basically a giant warehouse where you locate the heavy boxes that the furniture comes in, load them up on a trolley, and proceed to the check-out line. Did I mention these boxes are heavy…and they are sometimes several shelves up off the ground?! Given that it was just Mom and I, we opted to have the picking done for us. It was a small fee and VERY worth it. We talked to an employee who told us we would have to check-out with the items from the marketplace and then get in the HELLA LONG home delivery line in order to schedule the pick and delivery. Did I also mention the check-out lines were HELLA LONG?! It’s back to school and moving season, so whatever.

After checking out, our cashier told us that we actually didn’t have to get in the home delivery line, but instead go back to the showrooms where we would find a pick and delivery kiosk. We made our way there, scheduled the delivery, paid, and prepared for our exit. But wait, there is only one way out of the showrooms…and that’s to go BACK THROUGH THE ENTIRE STORE!

At this point, Mom and I could not WAIT to get the HELL out of there!!! I think it had been about 3 or 4 hours…WHICH IS ENTIRELY TOO LONG!! We were cutting and weaving our way through that store like we were being pursued by the police or something! But don’t worry, we made it out alive and back to the boat that brought us home! Or at least to our hotel.

The next few days were spent collecting other various items from the stores I mentioned earlier. Mom had to get real with me and tell me it was time to bite the bullet and start making some purchases.

I have this thing about visions. In my head, I can picture exactly how I want something to look. After I saw my apartment, and did some serious Pinterest browsing, I had a very clear vision of what I wanted my color scheme to be, how I wanted my furniture arranged, and what I wanted the general feel of the place to be. I’d been holding off pulling the trigger on purchases because I was worried it didn’t quite fit my “vision.” I’m weird that way. And I get extremely picky when it comes to bringing my visions to life.

Finally deciding Mom was right and I needed to start committing, as she put it, we racked up on things like towels, dishes, bedding, and other various household goods. We stockpiled everything in our hotel room like little chipmunks storing nuts for the winter.

Oh, I also ordered a bed from Macy’s during the Labor Day weekend sale. It’s perhaps the nicest mattress I have ever had and I am so so happy with it! It wouldn’t be delivered until a week after I ordered it, which meant about 4 nights in my new place with no bed, but the sale was just too good to pass up!

Before we knew it, it was Tuesday morning and we were cramming all of our belongings onto a hotel cart and making our way out of the hotel to the waiting Uber car. It was moving day, and we had quite an interesting few days ahead of us!

To hear about move-in day and the days that followed, tune in tomorrow for Part 4!


Obviously I have to talk about the two Broadway shows Mom and I attended while she was here. The first was Finding Neverland, based on the film of the same name about author J.M. Barrie and what led to him writing one of the greatest stories of all time, Peter Pan. The show stars Matthew Morrison, aka Mr. Scheuster from Glee, as Barrie and Laura Michelle Kelly as Sylvia, the single mother of four boys who inspires Barrie to write his masterpiece. It’s a story about growing up, but not growing up too soon. It’s a story about imagination and inspiration. A story about family and love.

I figured I would like the show, given that I’d heard so many good things about it, but I was not prepared to love it as much as I did. The last 15 minutes of the show I was basically sobbing and I have NEVER done that in a show before! Well…I cried quite a bit at the end of Once…but not this much! The story gets a bit sad at the end, but it was also because I witnessed some of the most beautiful scenes I’d ever seen on stage! One in particular was just so stunning, you’d have to see it to understand! The music was beautiful and the performances by the whole cast were incredible, including the kids.

I think it also got to me because there I was embarking on a great change in my life…growing up if you will…and I was watching a story about how the boy who never grew up was created. I strongly encourage seeing the show if you’re going to be in New York anytime soon! Bring some tissues!

Completely changing gears, the next evening we saw Something Rotten! A comedy musical about down on their luck playwrights, the Bottom brothers, who are struggling to write a play better than the Bard himself, William Shakespeare. Nigel Bottom, absolutely fed up with Shakespeare and all of his fame and glory, decides to consult a soothsayer, Nostradamus, to find out what the next big thing in theatre is. His answer: musicals. Cue an absolutely FANTASTIC musical number called ‘A Musical’ and you’ve got the whole audience giving one of the longest rounds of applause I have ever heard!

William D’Arcy James plays Nigel and Christian Borle plays the rockstar, Shakespeare. This was the third time Mom and I have seen Christian Borle onstage (we kind of love him) and he was just so fantastic, as was James. If you enjoy laughing out loud, having a fantastic time, and funny Shakespeare quips, this show is for you!


Have a great Friday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment