Thursday, September 17, 2015

Moving To New York: As Told By An Overthinking, Type-A Princess: Part 2

Hello everyone, welcome back!

Where did I leave off…oh yes! The apartment search! Right! Okay, so I arrived in New York City and went straight to my friend’s place where I would be staying while I hunted the concrete jungle for a place to live.

Earlier in the summer, a friend of mine from grad school helped me get in touch with an Aggie who’s a real estate broker in NYC. During the months leading up to my move, I coordinated with her about various things like what my budget was, what kind of place I was looking for, what neighborhood I wanted to be in, etc. Thank goodness I had her! If I hadn’t, the whole thing would have been WAY MORE stressful.

When you apply for an apartment in New York, the process is very similar to applying for a mortgage. You must be approved, based on your credit, income, bank accounts, and such. In order to qualify for a place without having a guarantor, you must make about 40 times the monthly rent in annual salary. Due to the fact I wanted to live in neighborhoods closer to my job in midtown, and the fact I chose not to have a roommate, I wasn’t going to be able to swing it without a guarantor. Luckily, my grandfather agreed to help me out.

Before I arrived, my broker had me collect the documents that leasing agents would most likely require once I found a place I liked. The real estate market in New York is ridiculously fast-paced. You have to be ready to move quickly once you find something you like or else, it’ll be gone. I learned that the hard way!

Feeling quite optimistic and ready to find my new home, I looked at two places the afternoon of my arrival in the city. The first place was WAY bigger than I had imagined a NY apartment being. It was a one bedroom and had quite a large kitchen area and living room. As I was looking around I started thinking that it was pretty spacious and I liked it. Then came its quirky charm…the shower…was in…the kitchen. What looked like a very unassuming pantry door, turned out to be the door to an upright shower…right there…in the kitchen. Like a dum-dum, I did not get a photo of this kitchen shower…but oh my! I had never seen anything like it in my entire life!

Once we wrapped up there, we went and looked at another smaller studio apartment. And boy was it smaller than that first one. There was a decent-sized kitchen, a quite nice bathroom, and then the actual studio part. I honestly think I would have had to get a twin-size bed…and maybe just a little loveseat…and that would be all the furniture I could fit. TINY.

My broker and I ended the day talking about what I liked and didn’t like about those two places and where we were going to be looking the following day. The next morning, I went and walked around the neighborhood where the first two places were located and I realized I really liked the area the first place was in. Kitchen shower and all, I was ready to commit to that one. I figured it would make a good story one day. When I met up with my broker to see another place that afternoon, I told her about how I thought I might want to apply for the first place. We took a look at place number three, which was a really nice one bedroom, and then we parted ways so she could figure out how I could apply for apartment number 1 and number 3…in case one was a no go. You following?

Unfortunately, when we reconvened to look at the next two places that afternoon, Apartments 1 and 3 were gone. Applications were filed by strong candidates and there was very minimal chance I would be able to beat out those applicants. See what I mean about that fast-paced real estate market? So…onto numbers 4 and 5.

The second of these two places ended up being a really nice alcove studio. We decided, since I was in a bit of a time crunch and since it was the favorite of all the available ones I’d seen, I’d go ahead and put in an application.

Without going into too much detail, the alcove studio didn’t pan out. The leasing agent and management company kept requesting more and more personal documents regarding myself and my grandpa, mostly my grandpa, in order to approve me. They weren’t satisfied with bank statements and tax returns. They kept wanting more. It became pretty apparent that they really didn’t want to give me the apartment. Every time we sent them a new document, they asked for more. This lasted about four days before my grandpa pulled the plug and said no more. It was frustrating, but also a relief to just say okay we’re out.

While all this was happening, I looked at two more places and found another I really liked. But alas, it already had an application and security deposit. Another one bites the dust. Total apartment count as of now: 7

Finally on Tuesday afternoon, my broker and I looked at 5 more apartments and guess what….apartment number 12 ended up being THE ONE! (For all you Aggies, pretty cool it ended up being the 12th apartment I looked at, am I right?) Finally after nearly a week of searching, trying to stay positive, and a tearful phone call with my dad, I found an apartment! And it’s pretty adorable, even if I have to climb up four flights of stairs to get there. We moved quickly and two days later, on September 3rd, I was signing a lease.

The only problem was, I couldn’t move in until September 8th….My mom had come in to town to help me get settled and had a flight home on the 7th…and we were going to be homeless when our friend left to visit Texas the next day…

As you can see….I may have found an apartment, but there was still much more adventure to be had….


Tune in for Part 3 tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment