Sunday, November 8, 2015

"It's the Holiday Season...duh dum duh dum..."

It’s been a few weeks since I last posted and since I’m having a bit of a lazy Sunday, I thought I’d write a post to catch you guys up on what’s been happening up here in the Big Apple.

I’ve fallen into quite a daily routine now, which looks a little something like: wake up, get dressed, go to work, come home, eat dinner, read or watch Netflix, go to bed, and repeat. On Friday nights, I meet up with some friends who are also new hires at my company for drinks. Every other week we do dinner somewhere fun. Our last Friday night dinner was at a BBQ restaurant called Brother Jimmy’s. They also happen to be famous for their Swamp Water, an alcoholic beverage served in a fish bowl, complete with a plastic gator. It was actually quite tasty! The weekends are a little less structured. I generally sleep in a bit and then try to do something fun…but I always make sure I’m home to watch the Aggies play on Saturdays! Obviously! Sundays are church, grocery shopping, cleaning, and meal prepping days (more on this later). It’s starting to feel like real life, rather than just going through the motions until I’m off the hook…if that makes any sense AT ALL hahaha

The Swamp Water

Today also marks 2 months since moving into my apartment! It’s still coming together, but hopefully in a few more months I’ll have it where I want it. I have learned one thing though: I like to keep a clean home. WHO KNEW?! I know there will be several people shocked by this, mainly my mother. I sweep at least once a week and every other week I deep clean, meaning dusting, cleaning the bathroom and kitchen, etc. But seriously, it’s like clockwork! This, coming from someone who used to maybe vacuum their room once every three months and change their sheets once every couple of months. (Yeah I know that’s gross but it was annoying taking them off the bed!) Now I change my sheets much more frequently. And I actually love it! I LOVE when everything is clean and there’s no dust or grime on the floor. Looks like I’m growing up after all!

Another new thing I just experience, grocery delivery! Living on a budget is much more challenging than I expected. I did some calculations and the amount of money I was spending on groceries and eating out last month was RIDICULOUS. I decided this month I really needed to be mindful about what I was spending on food. There’s a grocery store down the street I go to on Sundays and purchase food for the week. Then I prepare my meals and have them in the fridge for easy access. This particular store is a bit small and, well, pricey. There are so many things I look at the price and think, this is at least $2 cheaper in Texas.

I’ve been reading articles about grocery shopping on a budget in NYC and several articles suggested the grocery delivery services. So, I decided to try one. Sure enough, I did end up being able to get about 2 weeks’ worth of food to make for about $10-$15 more than I was getting one week’s worth at the store down the street. I was able to compare prices right there on my screen and take advantage of some sale items. There was also a coupon I found to get the delivery fee waved, so that also saved me. The absolute best part about it, I DIDN’T HAVE TO GO TO THE GROCERY STORE! I didn’t have to walk down the crowded aisles trying to find the items I was looking for and bumping into strangers. All of the things I needed were delivered right to my door. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL. (I know I sound like a diva, but seriously I hate the grocery store and this was like winning the lottery!)

For the past few weeks, I was working on a client out of White Plains, New York, which is north of the city. This required me to wake up an extra hour to allow for travel time. Not fun the first few days as I adjusted. Each morning I would leave around 7, take the subway to Grand Central Station, and then take the train out to White Plains. From the train station, I walked to my client’s office. All in all, it took me about an hour and a half, which, compared to other people’s commutes, really isn’t that bad. The train ride was nice, as we went through some gorgeous tree-lined areas. White Plains itself was also a really cute place. The other neat thing was just getting to go to Grand Central every day. There’s such a bustling atmosphere and so many people going to so many different places. It’s such an old building and yet it’s still very much a vital part of travel in the city. I’m actually going to miss being there. This week I start on a new client, who I’ll be working on for about the next 6 months. They’re in Manhattan, so the commute will be much more manageable.

Now onto the fun part of this blog post, the holiday season is OFFICIALLY underway here in the city. First up was Halloween last weekend. This year I didn’t dress up and it hurt my soul. I LOVE getting all dressed up for Halloween and take great pride in making my costumes (i.e., my Elsa costume last year). However, I just didn’t have the time, or inspiration for that matter, to come up with something. So, I threw on a Gryffindor shirt and told myself I was Ginny Weasley because of my red hair. It made me feel a little bit better about not having put in the effort for a full-blown costume.

I met up with a friend of mine down in Greenwich Village where we watched the NY Halloween Parade. There were LOADS of people out to watch and the vast majority of them were dressed up themselves! I saw so many incredible costumes on people who weren’t even in the parade! Once the parade did start, tons of costumed New Yorkers made their way down the street, jamming out to music and having a great time. There were some floats and bands, as well as dance groups. My favorite, the New York Thriller group who moved down the street doing Michael Jackson’s Thriller and it was amazing. It wasn’t half-ass either, they were going after it.






After about two hours, my friend and I decided we’d seen enough and left. This had a little to do with the fact we’d been out there about 3 and a half hours, since we went early to get decent viewing spots, and a LOT to do with the fact people started cramming in closer together. We weren’t fans of the people behind us being practically on top of us. Not a fun situation! I went home, grabbed some McDonald’s because it was the only thing open that late and close to my apartment, and watched The Prince and Me…because I couldn’t bring myself to watch a scary movie…alone…in my apartment…alone. Bottom line: It was a nice Halloween spent with a good friend J

Rubi and Me at the Parade!

Now I want to first say, I love Thanksgiving. I respect it as a holiday and I love everything it represents. A day for us to think about all of the many blessings we’ve been given and to stuff our faces with delicious turkey and pumpkin pie. However, I’m one of those people who sometimes let’s their love of Christmas overpower their love of Thanksgiving….okay not sometimes, try all the time. Which is why I started listening to Christmas music on November 5th. Before you get irate, I started listening to Christmas music on, like, November 1st last year so I’m doing better, okay!!! I’m sorry but if I wait for the day after Thanksgiving to start listening to Christmas music, I’m left with 29 days to indulge in the beautiful crooning of Michael Buble, Andy Williams, and Nat King Cole. THAT’S NOT ENOUGH! Christmas music makes me ridiculously happy, so don’t mind me as I walk down the street listening to it in my earbuds and smiling like an idiot.

This city is not helping either. They’ve started decorating for the holidays already!! If you didn’t see it on the news or whatever, the big Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center arrived on Friday and is in the process of being installed. It was actually quite incredible to see that take shape. It’s a real construction zone now too and they make sure it’s secure. I’ve NEVER seen the tree in Rock Center so I am ECSTATIC. Saks Fifth Avenue across the street already has their Christmas décor up outside, as well as Tiffany & Co. and Harry Winston. A lot of other storefronts on Fifth Avenue are preparing their windows for the holidays and I can’t wait to see what they look like.

The Tree arrives!

And it's up!!!

And now a construction zone!

Yesterday I was doing a bit of shopping and went my Macy’s in Herald Square. They already have up some of their Christmas décor outside, but I decided to go inside to their Christmas floor. SON OF A NUTCRACKER, IT WAS ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!! I can’t even begin to tell you how many Christmas trees were up in there and they were COVERED in a gazillion ornaments! There were Santa figurines and tree skirts and stuffed Christmas toys and anything and everything you could possibly need to decorate your house for Christmas. I was in heaven. After roaming around there for a while, I decided it was probably unhealthy and I should leave. So, reluctantly, I did.

Macy's!!







As my mother put it in a text message, “You are going to be in heaven this holiday season.” Yes, yes I am. I know that a lot of this is due to consumerism. I’m not naïve! But I choose not to look at it that way. The spirit of Christmas is what I’ve always loved. The giving and the love, that’s what it’s about for me. So I’m going to keep believing in the magic, all the way until December 25th!

As more and more decorations go up around the city, I’ll be sure to post pictures!

Hope everyone has a wonderful week!

XOXO,

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment