Saturday, July 7, 2012

Roaring 20's



As my 20th birthday draws near I have begun contemplating what the next decade of my life might hold. No doubt the past two have been quite extraordinary and have only shaped me into the smart, kind woman that is about to waltz into her 20s.

Your 20s are unmistakably the years that may define you. Most people graduate college, get married, start having babies, and do many other monumental things in their 20s. So quite frankly, I feel like turning twenty is quite an important birthday. I never thought so before, even thought it was rather insignificant, but after recently reading a novel by Emily Giffin titled, Something Borrowed (later turned into a film of the same name with a very attractive lead male and a charmingly, witty John Krazinski), I realized 20 is a big deal. It is a threshold to perhaps the most important and defining years of a person’s life.

The novel opens with the main character, Rachel, turning 30 and being all depressed about reaching this age husbandless and childless. At first I thought, 30 truly isn’t that old and she still has plenty of time to find true love and happiness. Then I thought, Holy Mess, I don’t want to be 30, husbandless and childless! Which then prompted me to think, these next few years of my life are crucial! I always envisioned myself getting married around 23 or 24…well HELLO!!! That is only a mere 3 or 4 years away! That honestly doesn’t give me much time to find my soul mate and have a healthy 2 year relationship, followed by an intimate and romantic proposal, preceded by my dream wedding filled with love, tears, and close family and friends.

As the character development of Rachel continued to unfold, we learn that she is living in New York City, doing a job she hates, letting her best friend, and pretty much everyone else for that matter, walk all over her, never standing up for herself, single, unconfident and unhappy. Of course, then she goes and falls in love with her best friend’s fiancĂ©…you’ll have to check out the book, or movie, to find out what happens next. J But I realized that, a lot of traits Rachel had, I possess! I could very well be 30 years old, living in New York City, working a job I don’t love, letting people walk all over me and never standing up for myself, single, unconfident and unhappy. 

I expressed my concerns to my mother who immediately laughed at my melodramatic outburst (these happen often) and she assured me that I would not be like that. And I realized though she may be wrong about that, I was the only person who could control that. I am the only person who can control my happiness. And guess what, perhaps I wouldn’t be happy getting married at 23 or 24, perhaps I would be way more content with my life getting married at 30 or something. Just because I always planned on it, doesn’t mean that’s how it has to happen or how it should happen. And it most certainly doesn’t mean that my life is a failure. My biggest philosophy in life is this, “Everything happens for a reason, the good and the bad.” There is no point worrying over when I will get married or what I will be doing at age 30. If we dwell on the future, we will completely miss all of the wonderful moments that are happening RIGHT NOW. And right now, I’m turning 20 years old and feeling pretty darn good about it!

I have wanted to start a blog for a long time but never really knew how to start or when to start. Since I am about to celebrate my 20th birthday and begin a new decade of my life I figured, why not start now! I want to use this blog to put in words my views on topics such as films, fashion, television shows, world events, pop culture, history, the arts, far of places, my inner thoughts on random things, and many other pointless, yet interesting, topics. I want to share my thoughts to anyone and everyone who might stumble across this little blog. I generally have no filter, so I will strive to put my exact thoughts into these posts and not sugar coat.

I want to make people smile or laugh. I want readers to come to this blog, read a post, and just think “Ahhhh, that’s what I needed today!” I will share my wisdom and knowledge on all things I believe I posses wisdom and knowledge about…which may not be much at such a ripe young age of 20, but it may be more than you think!

I believe in living each moment to the fullest with no regrets. I believe in love and having love in all things that you do. Starting now, on my 20th birthday, I want to live each and every moment to the fullest and I want to love everything that I do. XOXO, Alex



No comments:

Post a Comment